Working at height
Managing work at height follows a hierarchy of controls – avoid, prevent, arrest – which begins with the question – can the work be done safely from the ground? Fall restraints and safety netting should only be considered as a last resort if other safety equipment cannot be used.
- Assessing work at height - Assess the risks, take precautions, and issue clear method statements for everyone who will work at height.
- Roof work - Plan safe access, and prevent falls from edges and openings.
- Fragile surfaces - The hierarchy of controls for working on or near fragile surfaces is avoid, control, communicate, co-operate.
- Ladders - When it’s appropriate to use ladders – and the three key safety issues – position, condition and safe use.
- Tower scaffolds - Select the right tower for the job; erect, use, move and dismantle the tower safely; ensure that it is stable; inspect it regularly; prevent falls.