HSE and GMOs
HSE operates and enforces legislation in Great Britain that aims
to control the risks to human health and the environment arising
from activities involving GMOs in containment under the Genetically
Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2000.
Containment means that physical, chemical or biological barriers
are used to limit contact between GMOs and humans or the
environment. Contained Use facilities therefore include;
laboratories, animal houses, plant growth rooms and glasshouses,
industrial fermenters used for large scale production of enzymes or
therapeutics, and facilities to contain genetically modified farm
HSE does not lead on policy or enforcement relating to the
deliberate release of GMOs into the environment, marketing of GMOs
(DEFRA) or GM food safety (FSA).
Who we are
The Specialist Inspector Team
- Provide advice and guidance to centres working with harmful micro-organisms and genetically modified organisms.
- Undertake inspections of premises undertaking work with micro-organisms classified in Hazard Groups 3 and 4 or research activities with micro-organisms in Hazard Group 2 or any work with genetically modified micro-organisms.
Contact details for the: Specialist Inspector Team
The Notification Team
- Manage the statutory notification scheme for GM premises and activities and undertake the administrative procedures involved in the handling of notifications under the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations and COSHH.
Contact details for the: Notification Team
The Policy Team
- Negotiate and implement EU and international law and Conventions on biological agents and GMOs
- Develop national legislation
- Ensure that the regulatory regime covering micro-organisms is in line with over-arching government policies
Contact details for the: Policy Team
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) - SACGM (CU)
- A committee of external experts providing technical and scientific advice to the UK Competent Authorities (UK CAs) on all aspects of the human and environmental risks of the contained use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
More about the: Scientific Advisory Committee on Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) - SACGM (CU)