Checklist - Places and materials that can contain asbestos
- corrugated roofing, tiles, 'slates', soffits, gutters, downpipes, walls and panels;
- insulation under the roof, on beams and stanchions;
- boards and panels, and any insulation between these;
- insulation around pipes, on a heater, boiler, calorifier, in storage heaters;
- decorative coatings on walls or ceilings;
- insulation around windows;
- water cistern;
- flues, waste water pipes;
- plastic floor tiles.
Also check outbuildings.
- oven, brakes, soundproofing, ironing surfaces, insulating mat;
- fire blanket, fire insulation in or on doors, insulating gloves.
Note down the condition and amount of materials that might contain asbestos.
Where you can't get access, eg roof void, undercroft, wall cavities, presume that these contain asbestos.
Take care not to walk on fragile material eg asbestos cement roofs.
The following materials do not contain asbestos:
- brick or breeze-block and mortar;
- most furnishings and fabrics (but see 'Equipment' above) .
But they may conceal asbestos.