Stabbing and puncture hazards
Sharp corners, points and tines can cause injury
Types and parts of machinery
- Pick-up reels
- Adjustment and control handles
- Combine side knives
- Inattention when moving around machines
- Failure to fit knife guards
- Approaching moving machines
- Ensure adequate fixed distance guards (barriers) around pick-up reels
- Avoid sharp edges on side panels and guards.
- Ensure adjustment handles, such as those on depth wheels and jacks, do not have sharp or pointed parts.
- Provide transport and storage covers for sharp projections.
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- The need to maintain guards and disconnect power supply during maintenance
- How to fit and store protective covers.
Find out more
- Standard BS EN ISO 12100 - Safety of machinery – basic concepts, general principles for design