Additional hazards exist from being struck or trapped by mobile machines.
Types of machinery
- Rider operated self-propelled machines such as combines, potato harvesters, vegetable rigs and forestry machinery.
- Hand-guided mobile machines such as rotavators, brushcutters and motorised barrows
- Leaving the operator position without immobilising the machine
- Losing control or driving on excessive slopes resulting in overturn
- Failure to maintain brakes and other control systems
- Provide adequate roll-over protection and a seat restraint.
- Make sure movements are only possible with the driver at the controls.
- Ensure brakes and steering are fit for purpose and, in the event of power failure, can bring the vehicle to a safe standstill.
- Provide an effective parking brake.
- Provide hold-to-run controls on pedestrian controlled machines.
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- Safe maintenance
- Relevant training, e.g. Lantra qualification and accreditation.
Find out more