Friction and abrasion hazards
Rough or moving surfaces adjacent to work stations can cause burns or removal of skin and muscle
Types and parts of machinery
- Picking and sorting equipment that incorporates conveyors, webs and rollers
- Control levers sited in confined areas
- Failing to maintain guards and equipment in good condition
- Attempting to clear debris with machine running
- Provide side covers and guards at work stations to prevent access to abrasive parts.
- Ensure machine can be cleaned and maintained without the need to run under power.
- Use materials that are resilient and retain smooth characteristics
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- Safe methods of cleaning and repair
- The need to keep guards in place.
- Specification for replacement parts
Find out more
- Standard BS EN ISO 4254-1 - Agricultural machinery safety – General requirements