Lead and look after staff valuing their contribution and their diversity and the benefits this brings to the way we engage with stakeholders.
||Action proposed and targets set
1.1) Help the Board and SCS to lead HSE as a corporate team and promote leadership at all levels.
- leadership programme developed and promoted to DD staff
- complete 360 degree feedback for SCS Members will be completed by end of December 2001.
- findings on leadership from staff survey are reviewed in 2002 or 2003 survey.
- 360 degree feedback exercise completed to time and evaluated.
|Looking after staff
1.2) ensure exemplary standards of health and safety for staff.
|PD and all D/Ds
- by end 2001/02 all managers will put in place arrangements to manage hours staff work and reduce excessive working hours and workloads
- by 2010 HSE will achieve the RHS targets for reductions in accidents and ill-health and Civil Service targets for managing absence; achieving half the required reductions by 2004.
- by end March 2002 will have held 11 courses, and trained 350 staff in health and safety.
- by summer 2001 there will be a dedicated health and safety site on the HSE intranet.
- 2002 Staff survey will be used to test progress.
- HSE targets for RHS met.
- courses attended effectiveness and value for money evaluated.
1.3) provide better recognition and fairer rewards
- we will develop new arrangements for managing and rewarding performance and implement these by the end of 2002/03.
- by April 2002 all staff will have the necessary information to decide what to do on the introduction of PCSPS 2000.
- we will introduce letters of appreciation for staff at 25 years, and on retirement and special awards for merit in specialist and service functions.
- we will provide a better deal for staff who support major incident investigations.
- we will complete the work on premium pay and produce guidance on premium pay by the end of 2001/02
- new arrangements developed and accepted by stakeholders, and implemented to agreed cost and quality standards.
- staff have necessary information, understanding will be sampled to confirm this.
- scheme accepted by stakeholders and introduced to timescale.
- better deal agreed and effectiveness measured.
1.4) make HSE a truly diverse organisation and utilise the benefits this brings
|PD and all D/Ds
- by end of 01/02 all managers will receive diversity awareness training.
- by end of 2005 we will achieve Diversity targets in Modernising Government programme.
- in each of the next three years we will increase the number of recruits into HSE from ethnic minorities by 5%.
- we will implement the new Race Relations Act and relevant associated legislation in accordance with the required timetable.
- we will employ 24 more New Deal staff in HSE and accept 15 Windsor Fellowship placements in 01/02.
- diversity training completed to time and evaluated.
- Diversity targets met and effectiveness of programme evaluated.
- EM recruitment targets met.
- RRA implemented by due date.
- New Deal and Windsor Fellowship Targets met.