This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Workforce Involvement Group minutes - 13 May 2010

WIG/MIN/05/2010

OPITO, Minerva House, Bruntland Road, Portlethen, Aberdeen, AB12 4QL

Attendees

Present

Apologies

Item Number Item Action
1 Welcome and Introductions  
1.1 F Easton, Chair, opened the meeting, apologies were noted.  
2 Minutes of Last Meeting  
2.1 The Minutes of the previous meeting (5/2/10) were approved by the Group.  
3 WIG Support/Website Modifications Update  
3.1 F Easton confirmed that 50% of R Thomas's time has been approved for WIG, still awaiting update on L McGhee. FE
3.2 R Thomas gave an update on the latest developments of the WIG Webpage. Will continue to advise the group on developments. RT
4 Conference 2 & 25 March - Findings/Actions  
4.1 A McGilvray/F Easton briefed members on the outcomes/feedback from the two WIG events and the main topics/concerns that need to be addressed. The three key points were Safety Cases, Training and Powers. It was agreed that a small sub-group (Alistair McGilvray and Nicky Elphinstone) be tasked with drafting proposals for 'additional' SI971 training with a view to taking forward recommendations to OIAC. This work to be informed by the output of the March workshop sessions, the examples of good practice presented by BP, Total, Perenco and others. The Chair to write to Step Change suggesting that the existing publications ('Understanding the SI971 Safety reps Function' and 'Understanding the SI971 Safety reps function - a Guide for Supervision') be re-launched/publicised as being an excellent reference document for all parties to understand the requirements of SI971. Await the findings of HSE's SI971 Inspection programme before finalising further recommendations to OIAC on improving workforce involvement offshore. AM/FE
5 Safety Rep Standards Workgroup Meeting  
5.1 A McGilvray and N Elphinstone attended a Safety Rep meeting at OPITO on 7th May 2010 and gave feedback to the group. In particular they were able to confirm that the Workgroup had been appreciative of the input from WIG and found the outputs from the March Workshops very informative.  
6 WIG Membership/Proposed 'Tiffany Visit'  
6.1 N Elphinstone has been in discussion with CNR regarding support for WIG, and have agreed for one of their reps to be nominated to join the Group. N Elpinstone/F Easton to arrange meeting with CNR to discuss the process, with the possibility of a WIG visit to Tiffany to welcome the new member/gather facts on workforce involvement in practice. 6.2 F.Easton advised that he had also had a very positive approach from Petrofac offering support, and there were some interesting developments on Kittiwake he was following-up that may be worthy of further consideration. NE/FE
7 SI971/Inspection Programme/Briefing  
7.1 SI971 - HSE Inspection Programme 2010 was rolled out on 5th May 2010. A copy of the programme was distributed to all attendees. Non attendees will be sent an electronic copy for their information. It was generally agreed that the Programme would provide invaluable information to inform the future activity of WIG. LM
8 Future WIG Event  
  It was agreed that the next WIG Event would be on Tuesday 30th November 2010. Venue yet to be confirmed.  
9 AOB  
9.1 There being no other business the meeting closed.  
Updated 2010-02-09