Formerly known as the Ceramics Industry Advisory Committee (CERIAC), the remit was expanded to include other mineral industries.
CHARGE was created to provide a forum for member industries to promote improved standards of health and safety and the ‘Revitalising Agenda’ within those industries.
CHARGE's main responsibilities are to:
- Gather intelligence
- Support policy development and implementation
- Agree industry standards
- Support compliance activities to meet the Government’s Revitalising H&S targets on reducing injuries and occupational ill health
- Monitor the health and safety performance of the industry
- Communicate with industry sector stakeholders, including trade associations, professional associations and trade unions
- Publish guidance in consultation with key stakeholders
- Working with National and European bodies in the development of standards (eg BSI and CEN standards)
HSE’s Manufacturing Sector holds responsibility for health and safety concerns within the CHARGE industries